This week on stuff I'm talking about paying for all this with the team at Westpac who made what was a rather complicated timeline of buy, sell, build, settle, complete, move, much easier, and it's probably timely as we are finally over halfway (woohoo!).
We’ve reached the stage of the build where I think that every week something will have been ticked off our list. But it doesn’t necessarily happen. Deliveries are delayed, rain stops play, or things just take a lot longer than you had hoped because they are waiting on that delivery that got delayed or the rain to stop. Having a good relationship with suppliers is essential and having programs in place to try and mitigate delays by getting the right thing first time are a great idea, but sometimes you have to trust that people are reading and building from the plans (the golden mecca of any build) and when they don't, and it happens a lot more frequently than you'd think, things get made wrong, delivered wrong and delays happen.
It is however, a good time to take stock. I’m getting better at anticipating what will crop up on the to do list for the month but luckily I have Mr Building Boxes to make sure our list is complete as he's the one with the project management experience onsite. Here then, in case you’re wondering, is where ours is at:
· Install and glaze windows - done
· Finish external batons
· Install toe mould flashings – done
· Install all window flashings
· Install horizontal corrugate cladding
· Install horizontal cedar cladding
· Install Earthwool/Glasswool R5.2 cei_ling insulation – done
· Choose material and colour for soffit and install (and insulate a portion)
· Install wall insulation (upstairs Earthwool/Glasswool, downstairs Dritherm)
· Install Proclima Intello membranes
· Prewire (first fix electrical)
· First fix plumbing – done thanks to the team at K10! These boys are speedy and super lovely.
· Grind and polish concrete floors
· Take delivery of external doors - done
· Stain and install external doors
· Glaze external doors
· Install ceiling Gib Rondo battens
· Staircase made
· Install staircase
· Pass blowerdoor test with Intello membrane
· Install Gib Toughline in stairwell and halls
· Install Gib Aqualine in bathrooms
· Install Gib Ultraline on ceilings
I think I might go have a cup of tea and a lay down...
A family of four: writer, scientist, lego engineer and destruction specialist. Our previous home is featured in New Zealand Interior Style and this new project promises to provide plenty of great, green, smart and maybe madcap solutions to new building in New Zealand.